Thursday, November 17, 2011
I have 11 month old twins, Kimo Martin and Nicholas Rey. There were born on 12/25/10 (Christmas babies!!) when I was 31 weeks pregnant.
I have had 3 miscarriages and gave birth to my baby girl, Mary in 2009. She was born at 23 weeks and sadly passed away. One year later, we decided to try again and got the most wonderful news ever…we were expecting twins. Because of my history, my doctor took me out of work at 13 weeks and placed a cerclage. I was on bed rest at home and was only able to take very short showers and go to doctors appointments. At 23 weeks, I had my cervix checked as I had been doing every two weeks, and it was thinning out. The doctor decided to put me on COMPLETE hospital bed rest. Bed pan and all. It was very difficult because I had to lay in a flat position most of the time but I would have hung upside down for these boys. Within one week after being admitted to the hospital, my cervix was completely gone and we were told that they could come any time now. We were prepared for the worse but I didn’t think my heart could take anymore. But then...another week passed and the chances of survival increased slightly. Then another week and another. By 27 weeks, I breathed a little easier but still did my best to keep those boys in. By now, I had complete atrophy in my legs and could barely lift myself up to move in the bed. Two days before Christmas, the back labor started. I had never had major contractions so at first we thought the back pain was just from being in bed for so long. On Christmas day, I was feeling a little better and thought just one more month…we can do this! But then the labor started and my body just couldn’t take it anymore. I was terrified because I was still very early, but knew my boys would be ok.
Kimo Martin was born at 10:17 pm, 3 lbs 14 oz and 17 inches. Nicholas Rey was born at 10:19 pm, weighing 3 lbs 12 oz and 17 inches. They came out screaming, pink and perfect. They both had an agpar score of 8/9 and I was even able to touch them and kiss them. Then they were taken to the NICU. I was taken to recovery and saw them the next day. I couldn’t believe how perfect they were. Small yes…but perfect. They only needed to be on the CPAP and canula for the first couple days and from them on, it was just getting their weight up. The doctors called them the super twins. We were very fortunate that they did not have major health problems. Being in the NICU teaches you how fragile life really is and it’s the worse feeling to leave your babies night after night. We sadly saw many families get bad news and your heart hurts for them because we are like a family there.

A very drowsy Nick.

Kimo + friend!

My boys came home after being in the NICU for 6 weeks and are doing fantastic. They are active little boys and get into everything now. They actually aren’t so little anymore…..about 24 lbs each. I am so thankful that they are here and healthy.

Kimo + Nick now.

0 comments:

Precious and priceless so lovable too, the world’s sweetest littlest miracle is, a baby like you.

Join us on Facebook!

Contributors

Popular Posts

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive