Wednesday, November 16, 2011

When can we bring him home?

I waited 50 days to have this picture taken!

This is, of course, the biggest question on our minds while LO is in NICU. We dream about it all day and night. We walk around our homes getting things ready, or tucking them in corners “just in case” as I chose to do. We ask our doctors and nurses questions to get clues.

It’s best to follow the original estimated due date when trying to figure the answer to this question out. Each preemie is different so they might come home much earlier – or, much later.

I tried to set my mind on May 29 (my due date) and take anything earlier as a gift. It was hard not to get my hopes up, though. The nurses started telling me he was “on the launching pad to come home” before we knew that he would start having more brady episodes. I was elated! I told everyone that Tristan was coming home soon! My heart shattered when it turned out to be another month in NICU.

That’s when the waiting game got really hard.

It’s difficult to not get your hopes up but NICU is a rollercoaster. Until you’re walking down the hall with your baby it’s not over yet. Trust your nurses and doctors because they want your baby home with you, too! If they need another day, another week trust that it is in their best interest.

Tristan wound up coming home on May 15 but wound up in NICU two weeks later. He’d finally gotten “bigger” so they were able to diagnose him with silent reflux and stop the brady-madness.

Read more by Stephanie Heather at Urban Flowerpot

0 comments:

Precious and priceless so lovable too, the world’s sweetest littlest miracle is, a baby like you.

Join us on Facebook!

Contributors

Popular Posts

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive