Wednesday, November 16, 2011
After 5 weeks of bedrest, on Tuesday, 6/21/2011, at 5:48pm and 5:49pm,
we introduced Erin Patricia and William George into this world! Erin
weighed in at 4lbs 2oz, while Will weighed in at 2lbs 7oz. My MFM and
care team were right that Will was severe IUGR and my PreE was not
helping him, whatsoever. My surgery went well, but my recovery was a
bit ugly the first 24 hours with the magnesium sulfate that was given.
The doctors/nurses are surprised at how quick I turned around after
the mag sulfate was stopped...

The day itself was a bit of a roller coaster -- planned for 9:30am
c-section but there were no beds in the NICU available. I was placed
on hold for 2:00pm delivery, yet there was no anesthesiology team able
to assist. Moved to 4:00pm, and was finally taken from Antenatal to
L&D around 4:45pm. Got into the OR around 5, and delivered both
babies about 45 minutes later. Both received 8s @ 1min, and then 9s @
5min on their Apgars, which was great!

William on his birthday.

Erin on her birthday.

Both babies were in the NICU for over a month... Erin was in for 32
days, and moved to the intermediary care nursery about a week after
borth. She started on the CPAP after delivery, and then on the nasal
canula, but since then has not had any other lasting issues. Will had
a bit longer to go, spending 37 days in the NICU, 10 of which were in
the ICU, and the remaining days in the intermediary care nursery with
Erin. He did not have any issues with his breathing, but struggled
with tolerating his feeds. They were reuinted after being apart for
10 days on 7/1/2011.

Together at last!

I remember not being able to hold either right away -- but rather
looking at each through these tiny isolettes and wondering how they
could possibly survive. Their skin was almost see through and you
could see their little hearts beating away through the skin. I
remember questioning if they would live (or not) and what would happen
to me (and my husband) if they didn't... I remember being scolded for
rubbing Will's chest the first time I saw him, the nurse saying
something like "his skin is too thin, you need to pat it and not rub
it..." which, in turn made me frightened to touch him for fear I
would hurt him. I remember the first time I changed their diapers --
into these preemie sized diapers that looked like they would fit a
baby 3x their size... I remember the first time I got to hold each of
them (over 36 hours after their births) and that overwhelming feeling
of love and appreciation for such a little life...

Our baptism.

We're four months old now!


Precious and priceless so lovable too, the world’s sweetest littlest miracle is, a baby like you.

Join us on Facebook!


Follow By Email

Popular Posts


Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive