Wednesday, November 16, 2011
My pregnancy in 2010 with my daughter Lyla was very scary. We found out we were pregnant in January and were so excited! Everything was good until March. I had an extreme amount of bleeding that I woke up to at 2 am one night. I was only 13 weeks. I was so scared but never gave up hope for my baby. I was in and out of the doctor’s office and E.R. that day getting ultrasounds. No one could figure out why I was bleeding the way I was, and some believed I was going to miscarry. The only explanation was that they found that I have a bicornuate uterus (heart-shaped) and maybe that was the cause for the bleeding. They could see the baby, always fine and dancing, in the right horn and a large bleed in the left horn that was about 8 cm. I was put on complete bedrest to wait it out at home. Once the bleeding subsided after a few days, I starting getting severe cramping/contractions and started passing large blood clots. I was so scared, but still never gave up hope. I remember calling the nurse and asking her about what was going on and she said that if I was going to miscarry, there was nothing they could do. That made me really upset.

After a few days, all the clot passing was over, but I was still on bedrest. I was put on modified bedrest a few weeks later because I had no other bleeding issues. It was so hard because I had big plans of getting things ready for the baby and going out and about with a cute baby bump, but I was willing to do whatever it took to get my baby here safe and healthy. I thought the worst was over, but at 26 weeks, I woke up to the blood yet again. I went in to Labor & Delivery, and once they got me hooked up to the monitors they told me I was contracting every 4 minutes. I didn’t realize that’s what had been going on…I thought what I was feeling was the baby moving because I would feel one side first, then the other because of the weird shape of my uterus. I was hooked up to all kinds of meds to stop the labor and after a few days, we were successful and I was sent home on strict bedrest once again.
Two weeks later, I went into Labor & Delivery again because I believed I was going into pre-term labor again. I wasn’t, but they kept me because my blood pressures were high and they wanted to test me for pre-eclampsia. During the night I went into pre-term labor again and was hooked up to all the meds again. The next day my tests came back that I did have pre-eclampsia and I was getting sicker by the hour. I also had an extreme headache that would not go away, and the nurse never reported to the doctor. Once the doctor knew about my headache and after several tests and consultations, the only option was to have the baby. If I did not have the baby, there was a chance I would go into seizures and lose my baby or die myself. They decided to let me labor it out because it would be the best for the both of us, but I had a 24-hour time limit. I was so scared during the whole process. There were many obstacles during my labor, but we overcame them and ended up having a baby girl on July 5 at 8:36pm weighing 1 lb 13 oz and 12.5 inches long. She spent 2 months in the NICU and had her typical NICU obstacles. I stayed with her every day pumping milk for her and doing as much kangaroo care with her as possible, so we could take her home as soon as possible. Once we learned more of my conditions, we realized how lucky and blessed we were to have Lyla as far along as we did, and as healthy as she was.

Today Lyla is a happy, healthy and active 16 month old! She is walking and babbling like crazy. She loves being around others and playing outside. We have been so lucky that she has not needed any medical intervention since she's been home. She is truly our little miracle.

0 comments:

Precious and priceless so lovable too, the world’s sweetest littlest miracle is, a baby like you.

Join us on Facebook!

Contributors

Popular Posts

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive