Monday, April 29, 2013
Breanna holding William for the first time.

My birth story starts almost exactly 3 years ago.  Yesterday was the third anniversary of my son's death.  I had a pretty typical twin pregnancy until my water broke at just 22 weeks.  That night I was taken to the hospital and told I would not leave until my babies were born and they would try to hold that off as long as possible.  I was told to even have a small chance we would need to make it to 23 weeks and 24-25 weeks to have a decent chance.  Even if I did make it that far it didn't look good for my son William, his amniotic sac was the one that had broken and there was not much fluid left to help mature his lungs.  

The next few days I just waited and talked to the never ending train of doctors that came in to talk to me about what my babies future could hold and honestly I don't remember any of it.  The waiting continued until around 1AM on day 5, something didn't feel right.  They discovered that I was ready to deliver my son William and I was rushed to labor and delivery.  Just before 2AM my son William was born weighing 535g (1lb 3oz) at 22 weeks and 5 days gestation (barely).  As soon as he was born he was rushed off to the NICU while the medical staff turned their attention to trying to stop my labor.  

William, born at 22 weeks and 5 days

The magnesium did it's job and I was turned on my side and tipped head down and the waiting started again.  They also started the series of steroid shots to give John any chance they could.  I spent the next 39 hours waiting and being very closely monitored while my husband brought me back pictures of my son William with news that he was very critical but stable!  

The next evening the medical team decided that John needed to be delivered, he was slipping lower into the birth canal and there wasn't much else they could do.  John came into the world at 5PM, 39 hours after his brother, also weighing 535g.  He was also rushed off to the NICU.  

John, born 39 hours after William now watches over his brother.
Later that evening I was able to see my babies for the first time, I couldn't believe how tiny and fragile they looked behind the glass.  The next few days were pretty uneventful, just waiting on my boys to grow.  

This changed when John was 5 days old, we received a phone call early that morning that John was not doing well.  When we made it to the hospital he was barely hanging on and there was nothing they could do.  He had pneumonia with a very aggressive bacteria and by the time they realized something was wrong it was too late.  That morning John passed away and has been watching over his older brother William every day since then.  

William on his way home!

Slowly but surely William started to grow and after a long 6 month NICU stay he came home!  William is still on a feeding tube, has limited vision, and mild CP.  He does not let this slow him down!  William's entire NICU story as well as current updates can be found at

Here's William now!


Precious and priceless so lovable too, the world’s sweetest littlest miracle is, a baby like you.

Join us on Facebook!


Follow By Email

Popular Posts


Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive